Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Catcher in the Rye post 1

As the story starts out, right away it is easy to see that Holden is different. Not only in the way he acts and what he seems to go through, but the way he perceives things as well. Holden is not a normal kid. Before Leaving Pencey Prep for good Holden decides to visit one of his old teachers. Even in how Holden acts in this situation portrays his oddness to you. "The minute I went in I was sort of sorry I'd come. he was reading Atlantic Monthly and there were pills and medicine all over the place, and everything smelled like Vicks nose drops. it was pretty depressing. I'm not too crazy about sick people, anyway. what made it even more depressing, old Spencer had on this very sad, ratty old bathrobe that he was probably born in or something. I don't much like to see old guys in their pajamas and bathrobes anyway. Their bumpy old chests are always showing. And their legs. old guys' legs, at beaches and places, always looks so white and unhairy." Not too many people would choose to focus on old robes men wear or how unhairy their legs are. This is just one instance that allows you to see just a little of how different Holden really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment